JONESBORO — Renovations to the former YMCA building and development of a homeless shelter are among the priorities the city has established under a federal grant.

Jonesboro has $668,860 in unallocated funding from a special Community Development Block Grant that was part of the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act.

The city initially planned to provide Small Business Emergency Grants, but only received six applications that met federal guidelines for a total of $60,000. After conducting public hearings, the city’s grants department decided to divide the unallocated money into three projects. Under a plan the city council’s finance and administration committee will consider Tuesday, the city would:

Use $218,860 to renovate the YMCA building, which is also home to the municipal swimming pool. The facility would be used to provide a safe environment for emergency quarantine, during a disaster and/or pandemic for short-term assistance, such as emergency Red Cross services.

Use $100,000 for continuation of a COVID-29 grant program for public service nonprofit organizations.

Put $350,000 toward funding a homeless shelter, once a location has been confirmed.

In other business, the committee will consider details of a Federal Emergency Management Agency hazard mitigation grant. The grant will provide $305,960 to allow the city to buy and remove houses that have sustained flood damage multiple times. The city’s share of the cost of the project will be $95,612.

The houses are at 3804 Gamblin Drive, just south of Interstate 555 off of Willow Road; 3901 Willow Road; 2505 Mary Jane Drive, in the Fairview Addition; and 525 W. Forrest St. in northern Jonesboro.

The committee will meet at 4 p.n.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic the meeting will be conducted online with only essential officials admitted into the meeting room. The meeting will be broadcast on FacebookLive and Suddenlink Channel 24. Another online option is to watch live or recorded video and view agendas.

Residents and interested parties can participate either by sending email to Council or calling 870-336-7248 when agenda items are being discussed.