Pictures of the Past

Pictures of the Past

John Hatcher provided this circa 1895 photograph of his great-grandfather’s mercantile on NW Front Street that burned to the ground on Thursday. His name was Phipps Brevard Hill and his name was still visibly engraved in the iron threshold with the date 1893. Mr. Hill is the gentleman in the derby to the right of the door holding the hand of one of his daughters. This was an early home of Grimes Hardware and Bickers Hardware through the 1930s, and an offshoot of Wilcoxson and Sons Furniture specializing in used furniture through the 1950s. It later became the home of That Shop, a ladies clothing store. The second story was the home of Aurora Lodge #423 Free & Accepted Masons, the Oddfellows, the Knights of Pythias and several other fraternal organizations in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It’s interesting to note that the beautiful residence of P.B. Hill on SE Front Street was also destroyed by fire this year in February – many today knew that as the Jansen home. (Pictures of the Past is a cooperative effort of The Times Dispatch and the Lawrence County Historical Society. Readers are encouraged to submit historic photos.)

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.