Pictures of the Past

Pictures of the Past

The Minturn Post Office was established in 1873 with Robert Morton as the first postmaster. This was the same year the Cairo and Fulton Railroad, later named the Iron Mountain Railroad, laid tracks there from Missouri to Texas. Minturn became a major sawmill town equipped with a narrow gauge railroad extending southeast for several miles to transport logs to the mills. Mrs. Daisy Wells was the postmistress in 1979 when this photo was taken. The post office had a few chairs and a soft drink machine in the lobby and served as a community gathering place. (Pictures of the Past is a cooperative effort of The Times Dispatch and the Lawrence County Historical Society. Readers are encouraged to submit historic photos.)

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.