Pictures of the Past

Pictures of the Past

When officials from the city of Walnut Ridge, the Kansas City, Ft. Scott and Memphis Railroad (later known as the Frisco) could not agree on a route for the railroad though the young town of Walnut Ridge, the Henry Boas family offered the railroad free passage on their land south of Walnut Ridge. The new settlement where two railroads crossed became known as Hoxie and was a major railroad town in the early part of the 20th century. There have been three different depots on the same location southeast of the railroad crossing. The second depot was built in 1906 and in this October 1924 scene, fire destroys the structure. Warner Drug Store, seen in the background, was across the street from the depot and is now the location of the Hoxie Plaza. (Pictures of the Past is a cooperative effort of The Times Dispatch and the Lawrence County Historical Society. Readers are encouraged to submit historic photos.)

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.