Pictures of the Past

Pictures of the Past

With a growing student population and a deteriorating school building located at the intersection of Southeast Third and Elm streets, the Walnut Ridge School District built this new brick building in 1907 on the site of the present school campus. A dedication was held in February 1908 with State School Superintendent J.J. Doyne giving the address. The school, pictured here in the mid 1950s, was used until 1960 when it was demolished to make way for the present high school buildings. (Pictures of the Past is a cooperative effort of The Times Dispatch and the Lawrence County Historical Society. Readers are encouraged to submit historic photos.)

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.